Thinking of travelling alone? If you’re still not sure, then let me help you out.
As a seasoned solo traveller, I’ve found travelling solo to be a great experience on so many levels. It has helped me build my confidence, develop social skills and give me a sense of freedom and independence that I don’t get when travelling with others.
Here are my top 7 reasons why everyone should travel alone at least once.
- When you travel alone you get to do your own thing at your own leisure. It is an experience of supreme freedom and selfishness, in the right way! Have a lie-in, explore the region, chat with the locals, watch the sunset, read a book – it’s all up to you for once!
- It will be the beginning of a new refreshed and renewed ‘you’. When you travel with others you are taking remnants of your life at home – all their expectations, all the gossip, all the day-to-day problems. In contrast when you travel alone, you can truly switch off because you only have yourself for company.
- You’ll have more time to reflect on your life. The sensation of being connected to the vast world will leave you humbled yet filled with joy and gratitude. If you travel alone, you will come back a changed person – for the better and for the long term.
- You’ll meet a lot more people. As a lone traveler, you become more curious and active in your new environment. You meet more people than if you’re traveling with someone. And that can only be better for you and for the people of the region you are traveling to.
- You’ll gain confidence by learning to depend more on yourself. Traveling alone is one of the greatest and most rewarding challenges – it forces you to trust your instincts and be confident in your choices. You become a better planner and better decision maker.
- Everyone should do something alone every now and then. And if you want to travel, but can’t find anyone to travel with, that certainly should not stop you.
- You will return home with a transformed view of yourself and the world.
So how about you? Are you convinced on the merits of travelling alone? Take the plunge, travel solo and rise above your greatest dreams!