Who are the solo travel experts?
0800 612 2202 Activity breaks (and excursions eg. walks in London) for single travellers.
020 8241 2907 Activity weekends and holidays for singles. Everything from sailing, mountain-biking and caving to walking, climbing and white water rafting, mostly in the UK. They say they are open to any age although most participants are between 30 and 45.
- Friendship Travel
02894 462211 A range of holidays for single travellers including city breaks, cruises, ski holidays, and spa breaks, in mainly European destinations but also the Caribbean.
0870 252 8080 New tour operator launched Oct 05 by the Kaleidoscope Travel Group, which specialises in fully-escorted tours worldwide, owns Page & Moy and Travelsphere, and has been creating holidays for single travellers since 1999. Just You is aimed at older travellers who don’t want to feel they are going on holiday with a dating agency. It is not exclusively for singles. One in five of their guests is not single. Just You is a direct sell operator, with no sales through travel agents.
- Kindred Spirits
020 7431 3727 Launched in Dec 02 offering ‘house party’ style holidays for groups of up to twenty in luxury hotels. The programme of scheduled breaks concentrates on European cities – eg. Tallinn, Venice, Budapest, Athens, St Petersburg, etc – with one or two long haul destinations such as Hong Kong, Bangkok. KS normally base their holidays at 5-star hotels, with some 4-star.
- Minster Travel Service
0161 969 5603 Summer & winter activity holidays in the Wilden Kaiser-Brixental area of the Austrian Tirol with selected dates set aside for singles. Activities include cycling, walking, mountaineering, white water rafting, skiing etc.
- One Traveller
0844 8005053 Escorted holidays for mature single travellers. Eg. 5 day Prague city breaks, 5 day holidays in Poland, 8 day holidays to Prague, Vienna & Budapest, 6 day holidays to Russia and 10 day holidays to China. No room sharing and no single supplement.
- Saga Holidays
0800 096 0074 Saga has a dedicated brochure of escorted holidays reserved exclusively for singles. They also feature two hotels reserved exclusively for single travellers in Spain.
- Singular Travel
01483 548540 Specialist agency website (…actually rather stylish website) set up in June 06 by former air hostess Suzy Cooper who has negotiated special deals for single travellers, friends travelling together, and single parents, with 30+ travel companies.
- Small Families
01767 650312 Launched in 2002, Small Families provide fully escorted holidays exclusively for single parent families. Their programme – operated during school holidays – regularly features Majorca, Croatia, Tunisia, Morocco and Lapland for skiing, adventure and santa holidays.
0161 234 0080 Single’s holidays in Greece, Italy, Barbados, India, Turkey, Spain, Thailand, Morocco, plus a selection of worldwide city breaks and party weekends in the UK.
08700 720 700 Solo’s are probably the best-known specialist in the UK. They have been organising holidays exclusively for single people for over 20 years. They offer a range of UK, short-haul, & long-haul destinations and events. For example diving in Sharm El Sheikh, desert safaris in Morocco, Christmas in the Caribbean, Wild West USA, Skiing in Lake Louise and Costa Rica Explorer. Solo’s also offer age-banded holidays.
Escorted tours specialist to worldwide destinations, with many of their tours suitable for single travellers. They also have a room mate matching service that enables single travellers to economically share twin rooms.
- Travel One
0870 757 2488 Holidays for singles in a range of mainly Mediterranean destinations.
- Voyages Jules Verne
020 7616 1000 VJV don’t have operate tours especially for singles but a number of their tours to worldwide destinations are ‘singles-friendly’ in that they feature no singles supplements on selected departure dates. Adventure Travel
- The Adventure Company, adventurecompany.co.uk/single_traveller.aspx
The Adventure Company promises that any of its group adventures, from dog-sledding in Scandinavia to tiger-spotting in India, will be suitable for people holidaying on their own but it also offers a series of trips dedicated to solo travellers. No single supplements.
- For sheer choice, few can compete with Exodus (exodus.co.uk) and Explore (explore.co.uk), who have most of the globe covered.
- Some companies specialise in particular destinations. For example, Wild Frontiers (wildfrontiers.co.uk) is strong in Central Asia and Pakistan, while Wilderness Scotland (wildernessscotland.com) reaches parts other tour operators don’t.
- Similarly, if you have a particular passion or interest, look for a tour operator with expertise in that field. For example, KE Adventure Travel (keadventure.co.uk) is well-respected for its climbing and hiking trips, while Andante Travels (andantetravels.co.uk) is owned and run by archaeologists.
- For a real sense of adventure, consider an overland specialist such as Dragoman (dragoman.com) that offers expedition-style trips. And if roughing it is not your style, it may be worth paying a bit more to travel with one of the upmarket specialists, such as Abercrombie & Kent (abercrombiekent.co.uk), Cox & Kings (coxandkings.co.uk) or Bales (balesworldwide.com).